WORKING IN SUMMER
The Aussie summer months can be unforgiving with temperatures reaching over 40oc.
Tradies who work in the scorching heat have to be mindful of excess sun and heat exposure as well as maintaining proper hydration.
Wearing appropriate clothing and footwear for the environment you are working in can help reduce fatigue and improve thermal comfort.
When purchasing summer work clothing, some features to look for would be:
- Lightweight – You want something lightweight yet durable (around 120-135gsm for work shirts and 220 – 240gsm for trousers and shorts).
Heavy materials can cause over-heating and excessive sweating.
- Cotton – Garments made of cotton can help wearers keep cool without compromising on strength and durability. Synthetic garments do not absorb sweat like cotton and are not as breathable.
- Stretch – Stretch materials are generally lightweight and very comfortable. This helps with ease of movement and flexibility yet still maintaining a high cotton content.
- Vented – Air Vented shirts have strategically integrated vents including mesh panels to help facilitate air circulation around the wearer’s body and through the garments.
These are designed to provide maximum comfort under hot and humid conditions.
- Ultraviolet Protection – Garments with Ultraviolet Protection use fabrics that reduce your skin’s UV radiation exposure. Prolonged exposure to UV radiation is a risk factor for skin cancer.
For safety footwear, look for the following features to avoid overheating and tired feet.
- Lightweight – Heavy footwear can amplify discomfort and fatigue in hot weather conditions. Wearing lightweight footwear can make a big difference for people who are on their feet all day.
- Breathable – High temperatures at work can cause major discomfort and excessive sweating in your feet. A breathable shoe with proper air circulation can help avoid infections caused by extreme sweat and tired feet.
- Composite or Fibreglass toe caps – Safety footwear that feature Composite or Fibreglass toe caps are more comfortable when working in extreme weather conditions compared to those with a steel toe cap. They offer better insulation against heat.
- Anti-Fatigue Technology – Look for footwear that has shock absorption such as the IMPULSE.FOAM anti-fatigue midsole for optimal cushioning, stability and comfort.